- Little Bo-Peep has lost her sheep,
and can't tell where to find them.
Leave them alone, and they'll come home
bringing their tails behind them.
- Little Bo-Peep fell fast asleep,
and dreamt she heard them bleating.
But when she awoke, she found it a joke,
for they were still all fleeting.
- Then up she took her little crook,
determined for to find them;
she found them indeed, but it made her heart bleed,
for they'd left all their tails behind them.
- It happened one day, as Bo-Peep did stray
into a meadow hard by.
There she espied their tails side by side,
all hung on a tree to dry.
- She heaved a sigh, and wiped her eye,
and over the hillocks went rambling;
And tried what she could, as a shepherdess should,
to tack again each to its lambkin.